Aside from being the perfect place to park the family car, garages are wonderful for a variety of reasons – home projects, storage and play. That is why a garage can pose security and safety challenges. It is important to think safety, especially when children regularly play in the garage. Below is a list of 10 garage door safety tips to help everything and everyone remain safe.
1. Ensure that the control button of the door opener is not within reach of small kids.
2. It is important to not let kids use the remote controls of the door as a plaything.
3. In order to know how to utilize the emergency release feature (and other features of the door), the owner’s manual should be read front to back.
4. Garage doors need to be visually inspected every month. The rollers, springs, and cables should be inspected for any sign of wear. One should not make any attempt to adjust, remove or even repair these garage door parts or any other thing attached to the parts. Well-trained, skilled, and experienced door technicians should be the only ones allowed to make the necessary adjustment. It is too risky for an amateur repairman to try and make adjustments to aforementioned parts, as these parts are under high tension.
5. Check the door opener’s reverse mechanism every month by simply positioning a roll of paper towels or a 2 x 4 board in pathway of the door. If the door fails to reverse after it has contacted an object, then the next thing to do is to contact a skilled garage door expert to repair the fault. If the door is old, then it makes sense to seriously consider getting a brand new door installed – it should come with an auto-reverse feature.
6. Do not place fingers in-between the door sections; it is also important that the children be taught the dangers of doing so. For homeowners with small children, it is best to consider choosing doors that come with sturdy panels that cannot pinch.
7. Never leave the door slightly open. When the door is activated again, the chance of it traveling downwards is high, and it could injure anyone or cause damage to anything in its pathway. Leaving the door partially open will also compromise the safety of the home.
8. Leave the garage door opener unplugged while on vacation.
9. Warn children not to play too close to the door, and explain the dangers to them.
10. One of the tricks used by burglars to gain access into a house is by simply stealing the car or door opener. Do not forget the remote control inside the vehicle or with the parking attendant. It is better to use a keychain and to also ensure that the entryway to the house is always locked, particularly if the door opener is auto-programmed to the car.
Investing in a new model garage door that comes with a lot of safety features is truly a great investment.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/8251294